Wednesday, 9 September 2009

090909 and jetlagged in Japan

As I'm typing this, I am in our hotel room on the 36th floor of our hotel in Japan looking at a spectactular view and listening to the Japanese children program on TV (yes, they are the same here too).

So, first impressions of Japan are a bit blurry based of course on the fact that we haven't slept for more hours than is civilised which means that we are fighting to stay awake. All the same, I think that we have managed alot today:

1. Made our way from the airport to our hotel
2. Bought what we thought was a refreshing local drink - big mistake! Words cannot describe what this drink (see picture as warning) tastes like. We can think of one which begins with V and ends with E... Note to self, water is a much safer option here.
3. Successfully found, ate and paid for a meal at a Japanese buffet (we where the only non-Japanese people there).
4. Used the loo - a real adventure in Japan
5. Negotiated the Tokyo public transport system successfully, including buying the correct ticket and getting off at the correct stop...

The verdict... Tokyo is indeed a very modern, beautiful city with all the mod cons that you would want (and some that come as a bit of a surprise), and definately somewhere that I could live for a while. But like all modern, capital cities, I suspect that Tokyo is just a picture of Tokyo and not Japan. So I will enjoy Tokyo for what it is and be careful to remember that there is a whole Japan out there which will hold it's own unique charms and surprises.

Can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Margareta Elmström9 September 2009 at 03:13

    Bra att veta att ni är framme!!
    Ser ialla fall ut på bild som resan gått bra.
    Kramar Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej! Hoppas att jag kan skriva här så ni ser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can safely say that stuff in the green bottle awful. Had it once when I was over there and still regret it.

    Also loos are an experience, Johan did you push the clean up button for the ladies. Thats a shock at the best of times not least when you are jet-lagged.

    Glad you are both having fun and the wedding went to plan

    LJ

    ReplyDelete