Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Spirit of Osaka

Today is more my area I suppose...

Yesterday, before finding our octopus feast, we did attempt to make our way to the award winning Japanese whisky distillery in Yamazaki, but since the last tour is at 15.00 (quite an early curfew for whisky, I must add) we did not make it but we set out this morning to remedy that, and I must say it was quite rewarding.




We rocked up just before 12.00 and got kitted with audio equipment that played an English soundtrack to the tour, which was all in Japanese. Despite of that it was interesting and having some subtle differences from distilleries I've visited before. For one, I dont recall any of the distilleries I visited in Scotland using different kinds of vats, but apparently that makes it quite different. Another was the very intense smell of apple in the fermentation room, but I am sure that is as it should be. They have been doing what they do there since 1923 after all..

One thing that was the same though was the samples at the end.. Yamzaki and Hakushu 12yr, well worth the trip there, and I would say the tour fee, but that was free which makes it even better. I also managed to get a little of the 18yr, but I had to pay for that, unfortunately. There was also, naturally, a gift shop, so what we did not spend on fees or samples, I spent there. Completely rational. I wonder how much it will cost to ship the loot home :) ?


But now, after a little rest in the hostel, we're off ot paint the town red on our last chance in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment