Thursday, 14 January 2010

An Inka village

We have now spent the last couple of nights in a lovely, genuine Inka (using the olde tyme spelling of the word) village called Ollantaytambo affectionately known as Ollanta by the locals.

It's a beautiful and interesting quaint little place and as you walk along the narrow cobbled streets (yes the Incas did cobbles), you can't help imagining what it would have been like so long ago. There are still Inca doorways and walls standing from those days that are still in use today, in fact, that makes up quite a big part of the village.

Yesterday, the rains cleared up and we went for a walk through the village then followed the signs up the mountainside to explore some Inca ruins left open and free to look around. Apparantly the really interesting ruins are found on the adjacent mountain which you need to pay to enter. Maybe we'll do that tomorrow.

Sadly, the good fortune that we had throughout most of the trip seems to have run out as I became ill once again last night, so we couldn't visit Richard's company today :( I'm feeling much better now but it might be vegetables and dry crackers for me for a few days...

2 comments:

  1. We found ollantaytambo much better than macchu pichu - you can walk round freely, no pestering by train companies, touts etc

    Aparantely there are some brand new ruins (if that isn't a contradiction) deep in the jungle that are as impressive as macchu picchu but need a 5 day trek to get there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Ollantaytambo, with streets only wide enough for people to walk down, as they never had any carriages. Didn't I tell you a nap when you arrive at altitude, coca tea when you wake up and then lemon sweets? Those were the secrets Tiza taught me. I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete